Monday, July 28, 2008

Teaching by Example

Okay, so I'm not sure it's a great thing, but at the same time I'm not that upset about it...

Husband, daughters, and I went out to eat Saturday night (see previous post as to why we are always going out to eat) and Clurie, my bright, amazing, frustrating, and funny 4 year old wanted to pretend that Mommy and Daddy weren't married yet and that we were on a date. Clurie was playing my daughter, and she insisted that Laney, my precious, amazing, perfect 3 year old play the part of Daddy's boy....yes, boy....the ultimate insult for them....while we were on our date. I started to say something at one point, and Clurie said, "No, Mommy, the boys are in charge." I was flabbergasted. I don't mind the "boy" taking charge (and wouldn't mind it if he did it more often) but I didn't know where she got that idea. Husband, Terry, was quite amused, of course, and I was just in the middle of explaining to him that he certainly doesn't want Clurie to think that when she's a teenage girl....when Clurie said, "Okay, now you're married, and now you're in charge, Mommy."

OH MY GOSH! It was hilarious, but I must admit I found myself strangely embarrassed by it. I know that I'm the one pretty much in charge although I believe sometimes by default. I mean, someone has to be the grown-up. However, that's not really the lesson I want her to learn about marriages. My mom and sister got a gigantic hoot and holler out of it. I do, too, but at the same time, it makes me think I've got some work to do. What do you think?

No comments: